Friday, May 15, 2009

Imperial Highway: Lynwood High School Fences



On the medians across the street from Lynwood High School, there are these series of fences depicting school-related themes.

I suppose the city erected the fence to beautify the street (and perhaps to prevent kids from jay walking). The students have responded by taking it upon themselves to beautify the fence. It's just a little public discourse between the citizens and the government.



I'd like to applaud the use of grids throughout the fence. I love a good grid sculpture. ANY piece of art can be improved by adding grids. For example, have a bad tattoo? Throw a grid behind it and it's awesome.

And just because it's a grid and has holes, that shouldn't prevent you from spray painting.





Like so much public art, there is an image of the Earth included at some point. See the mural at Los Angeles Southwest college in my post Signs of Inglewood for another example.





I love the picture in picture effect here, with the fence quoting other art from a variety of continents, very democratic:
• A bust of Nefertiti (Africa)
• A man from a Greek vase (Europe)
• An Olmec head (North America)

And again, they improved upon the original by using the grid. I love it.



What does the Vitruvian Man need? A fucking grid, that's what.











Across the street from the fence, this flyer was hung on a telephone pole. I'm kind of into flyers of nobodies promoting themselves. See my post, Signs of Inglewood with Young, Black, & Brilliant for another example.

This is Flakiss, a hip hop artist with a song called, It's Friday Night. Watch the video here, and to give you a taste, below are the actual opening lyrics.
It’s Friday night. We’re headed to the club. My girls are by my side.

Let’s Party!

It’s Friday night. I’m feeling alright. I’m ready to get drunk.

Let’s do it!
I smell Grammy!



If you want more of Flakiss (and who doesn't) you can check out her label Rize High Records and her mySpace page.


View Imperial Highway in a larger map

1 comment:

lblakeelahi said...

You are terrific--I love your street blogging- especially since I am the artist who designed that fence in front of Lynwood H.S.! :-)

www.lucyblakestudio.com

thanks! Lucy