Monday, May 25, 2009

Glendale Blvd: Cactus Mural for Russell Lorette



This mural at the corner of Glenfeliz Blvd. and Glendale Blvd is a tribute to Russell Lorette, a TV camera man for various news and sports programs.



I found this picture of Russell online. I think his sister posted it. I like that I was able to find this picture and put a name to the face. I work in production and I can definitely imagine this guy on set. He just has the look of someone in production.

On another website, Pictures of Murals in Los Angeles, it says that Russell committed suicide. I'm not sure how they got that information. The site also has pictures of an earlier version of the mural, before the sky was expanded and before the electrical box was painted.







The mural was done by Rafael Escamilla, a Salvadoran-born artist with murals around Atwater and other parts of Los Angeles.



I love that the electrical boxes have also been painted so that it doesn't become like an editing device in a John Baldessari piece.






View The Sights The Sounds in a larger map

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Strange...Russell Lorette was one of my best friends in life. Knew him from my early days in Oklahoma working with him in local tv news, then when he moved to LA... until he left us.

A good friend who had a free, generous spirit. A very good human being on so many levels.

I appreciate you sharing this. I was just thinking about him today, did a Google search on his name and came across your blog.

Anonymous said...

Went to a funeral today of someone I knew when I was young. Ran into old friends from school and asked about Russell. I did nit realize he had passed. I am lucky to have been his model here in OKC when he was just starting, I was 19 and he was 21. What a great person he was. I still have the photos.

David Morrison said...

Russel was one of the first DPs I worked under when I moved to LA in 1989. He had a personality that was larger than life and carried himself with grace and confidence. Certainly a role model and such a kind man. I lost touch with him before he passed but I live close to this mural and am grateful every time I see it.